Saturday, February 7, 2009

Basic watercolor techniques

Today I introduce the basic watercolor techniques and show how to paint simple, pretty picture. The best topics at the beginning are flowers, landscapes or fruits because they do not require proficiency in the use of perspective. The best way to start is the single color paint to focus on the technique.
First I carried out a pencil sketch on paper 15x20cm (6"x9"). If I need a precise drawing I usie 2B pencil , if the sketch is to be less precise I usually use 3B. Harder pencils are more difficult to wipe. If I intend to soak the paper and stretch it to the board in spite of everything I can to draw everything in pencil first, the water does not harm him.


Now, I covered the paper with the clean water which has rapidly soaked in so I dumped it again. It is a "wet in wet" technique. Paper must be still shiny from the water. On the wet surface of the stain of paint can be corrected, lighten, darken etc. If I use paint with a high use of water iit will be clear and giddy. The more dry brush is and lesspaints on it stain becomes darker and more accurate but still foggy. Excellent technique for painting the background, sky, far-off plans.


When the paper dried up completely I painted a second layer. I paint here "normally" on a dry surface using a large amount of water. Used here is "negative painting". The shape was created by the dimness of flowers around the area and not painted by the same color. The second effect which is applied here is called "found and lost". The stems have sharp edges, but they flow away in some places. This is done for example by washing wet spots with clean water in some often accidenital places or by using two brushes at once - one with paint and a second with clear of water or other methods of ypur own. Very nice effect, my favorite.


Here I present two another techniques. The first one is to obtain the white. I use wet brush to lift the paint off, rinse the brush, wipe in dry paper towel and remove the paint again. I don't obtain a perfect white this way but rather strongly lighten it. I use the flat edge of brush to get thin lines. This way I lightened some stalks and lines on leaves . There are also presented next flayer here- "calligraphy". It recalls and a drawing so it is different from previous techniques. I use a thin "rigger" and paint lines with more detail and less amount of water to paint darker line.


Here I use technique known as "dry brush". Paint comes mostly out of the tube. I get through this very dark and thin line and needed to details. In other places a dry brush lets to get interesting rough surface so the stems and leaves look as more extended to the first plan.


Finally, I put yellow paint here and there. It sometimes stays yellow and sometimes give me igreen in combination with indigo blue. The rule in watercolor is painting bright spots first and then darker so theoretically I should not do this ... but who shall prohibit me? : D: D: D

2 comments:

  1. come on back, Jarek! We miss you! I too love colors in relation to their associated emotions. Best, Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margret, I'll be back soon when I find some more time, I promise. I miss you too but I've been kind of busy last days. :/

    ReplyDelete